Re: pg_dump version conflict - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: pg_dump version conflict
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:36:14PM -0800, Tom Haddon wrote:

> through - if "sort" wasn't installed, god knows what else wasn't.

I know what that is like.  Our production environment explicitly
forbids compilers (among other things), so we can't build the software
there.

We therefore build a binary tree (along with all the libraries needed
-- we have a private copy of readline, for instance!) on another box,
and then tar up the whole thing, including necessary libraries, and
put it there.  It's a bit of a hassle, but it works, and prevents me
from waiting 3 months while some drone decides whether sed or nawk
are security risks.  So something similar might work for you.  You
need an extra, compatible machine, however.  And some extra disk in
your hosted environment.

> Any recommendations. Lower end of pricing (>$30/month) appreciated?

I'm afriad not.  The techdocs.postgresql.org site has some
suggestions, though.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110