Re: to_char(interval) --- done? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: to_char(interval) --- done?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel,

>  IMHO nobody use it -- maybe we can keep it in sources for 7.4 and
>  mark it in docs as deprecated and remove it in 7.5.

This seems to be consistent with my informal survey on PGSQL-SQL and on
#postgresql.   Nobody seems to be using the current behavior.

>  The date/time and numbers formatting share parser only. The current
>  to_char(interval) is 20 lines of code only.

I'm not surprised.

>  I want to write new library "libformattig", because I need to_char()
>  features and some new extensions in the others projects -- it means
>  in 7.5 will new to_char() code. The current code works without bugs,
>  but it is not ideal code.

Please call on me if you want any additional help formulating a specification.
While I am not in any position to help with the code, I do use INTERVAL,
TIMESTAMP, TIME and DATE heavily and have strong opinions about usability.

Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions