Re: to_char(interval) --- done? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: to_char(interval) --- done?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:56:53AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I volunteered to look into it, but got a sorta negative reply from Peter_E,
> > but no
> > response to my request for suggestions.
>
> I think what Peter was saying is to research some ways to manage
> intervals and other time related data types within what the SQL standard
> defines.  to_char() and the like are only Oracle compatibility functions
> and should not be taken as serious ways to do things.
The to_char() knows formatting numbers, time/date to almost arbitrarystring. I unsure if SQL standard knows something
likethis and writesomething for "interval" only is not good idea (IMHO) if there is a lot ofcode which already know
formattingdata to string.

   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/