Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign  (Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>)
Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > The scenario that's appealing to me the most is this for the next release:
> > PostgreSQL 8.0
> > + Includes PITR and the Win32 port
>
> If the folks doing those things can get done in time, great.  I'm even
> willing to push out the release schedule (now, not later) to make it
> more likely they can get done.  What I'm not willing to do is define
> the release in terms of "it happens when these things are done".  We
> learned the folly of that approach in 7.1 and 7.2.  Setting a target
> date and sticking to it works *much* better.

Well, we had that 7.4 discussion a few days ago, and only had two people
comment on our scheduling.  At that time, the discussion was for 7.4
beta starting May 1 vs June 1.  June 1 would be roughly six months from
our 7.3 final release, which is typical.

I agree with Tom that we should decided sooner rather than later on a
beta date.  Right now I don't think we have enough to must-have features
to justify a release, and as everyone knows, an upgrade isn't easy for
our users.

I also agree with Tom that we shouldn't peg our beta schedule on specific
features.

So, what should we do?  Should we go another month or two and just wait
until we have enough must-have features?  While not waiting on specific
features, it _is_ waiting for something to warrant a release.  I guess
the big question is whether we release on a scheduled-basis or a
enough-features-basis.

Pennsylvania19073