Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:03:09PM -0000, Dave Page wrote:

> > Really?  Where?  The clause about providing source says (note
> > the "or" between the clauses):
>
> From:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
>
> Can I put the binaries on my Internet server and put the source on a
> different Internet site?

[snip]

> As Justin hasn't (I assume) agreed with the Cygwin people to link to
> their server, then he must supply the source as well.

Justin obtained a binary copy of Cygwin.  Because of this, he got a
offer to the sources from the cygwin site, and because of the 3c clause
I cited before he can just provide "the same information he received".

The provision on that clause says that 3c is only valid if he got a
binary copy with a source offer.  He didn't compile anything, so the
clause applies.

When and if the Cygwin people takes the Cygwin source off their site,
then people can upload the source to techdocs or wherever.  Before that,
there's no need to worry.

Don't get me wrong; I'm usually a free software advocate.  But the FSF
likes to take things too far.

"Vivir y dejar de vivir son soluciones imaginarias.
La existencia está en otra parte" (Andre Breton)