Re: Stored Procedures and compiling - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Daniel Bruce Lynes
Subject Re: Stored Procedures and compiling
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Friday 07 March 2003 19:13, Tom Lane wrote:

> What exactly do you consider "compiling", and why do you think that
> whatever Oracle does (which you didn't bother to explain) is superior
> to what plpgsql does?

When you run a script to place a stored procedure into Oracle, it checks the
entire script to ensure that there are no syntax errors in both the
procedural code and the SQL code.  However, with PostgreSQL, if there are
errors in the code, I usually don't find out about it until I reach that
branch in the logic upon execution of the stored procedure from client code.

As I understand it, Oracle also compiles the stored procedure into pcode
(internally), the first time it is called so that it runs faster.  You can
compile stored procedures into pcode manually also, and store the pcode in
the database, rather than the pl/sql code.