Re: A few questions to real pgsql gurus - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: A few questions to real pgsql gurus
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:03:38AM +1030, Justin Clift wrote:

> >   b) is it possible to configure an auto-failover to the secondary
> >      database in case primary dies.
>
> Definitely.  See the above URLs for further information.

I have to say that we do not use it that way, and I cannot recommend
such a strategy.  (We're the ones using it for .org and .info.)
Failing over is something of a pain in the neck, and it is not
100% reliable in cases where you have flakey hardware (as I learned
to my chagrin recently).

That said, the replication itself has not failed for us.

PostgreSQL, Inc. sells a version which is somehow linked to a Linux
system; I don't know very much about it, so it may work perfectly
well.  But that is _not_ the system we are using.

There are some other replication systems, as well, but I have no
experience with them.  For more information on replication, see Bruce
Momjian's recent presentation on it

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/replication.pdf

or visit the replication gborg site

    http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

We are very happy with PostgreSQL, and have consistently good
experience with its reliability and speed.  I would strongly
recommend it, with one of the various replication systems.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110