Re: Permissions or initdb failure? - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Permissions or initdb failure?
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Tom,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 06:07:28PM +0100, Tom Halser wrote:
> :-)))
>
> yep, that helped.

Good.

> Still, I don't remember that I did that on the other
> machines...spooky!  The only other thing I did: I used a different
> account than the build-in Administator that had also administrator
> rights to install cygwin with setup.exe.

Did you "Install For" "All Users" or "Just Me"?

> Anyway. So if I get you right, its all cygwin's setup.exe fault, isn't
> it?

Yup.  There is work under way to make Cygwin's setup.exe honor ntsec,
etc. which should hopefully prevent this problem.

> An off-topic question on that:
> shouldn't there be a way to install, reinstall, remove packages via
> commandline?

Yes, there has been some work to implement this.  Unfortunately, more
needs to be done.

> I mean, some kind of dpkg and aptitude like it exists on Debian??

The above would be great.

> That would make updating serveral machines on a network much easier!

Agreed.

> What's your opinion about that?

I agree will all of the above, but I have no time to help because I'm
maxed out already.  Unfortunately, one has to choose their battles.

Would you like to help?  If so, then please subscribe to
cygwin-apps@cygwin.com jump on in.

> Ahmmm. I promise this was my lasy reply off-list, but I thought it was
> kind of irrelevant to other postgresql-users.

Maybe.  My hope is if I answer publically, then I may prevent even one
private email.  I know that I'm foolish to hope for such a thing, but
one has to try...

> Mea culpa.

No problem, but please keep your replies on-list.

> Thanks for all

You are welcome.

Jason