Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres: [Viruschecked] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Patric Bechtel
Subject Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres: [Viruschecked]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:02:06 -0700 (MST), scott.marlowe wrote:

Hi,

I doubt that it will be for "super-price-conscious" only. I recently
saw Western Digital annoucing a 10.000 RPM drive with 36 Gig for
serial ATA, <5.2ms access time, about 55 MB/s, for 30% than the SCSI price.
That's serious. Together with 5 years warranty and explicit statement
about being 24x7x365 capable (which most ATA-drives aren't!).

0.02$...

Patric

>> I'd see Serial ATA being a "serious challenger" if it allowed you to
>> cheaply build some "embarrassingly-parallel" RAID servers where you
>> were able to get 16 drives hooked up, each on its own ATA 'bus' for
>> about the price of 4-way SCSI.
>>
>> But the intended market is doubtless the super-price-conscious market,
>> which naturally leads to the overall quality of the results being
>> pretty compromised.

>These guys:

>http://www.ide-raid.com/

>will probably make use of serial ata, since they're already making some
>very nice, very fast IDE based RAID devices, and very dense (12 disk 3U
>units.)

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 2636 F26E F523 7D62  4377 D206 7C68 06BB