Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 19 Feb 2003 7:25 pm, you wrote:
> Agreed! If it ruins any caching then in my view it's something that has
> to change in order to keep performance. While there may be a penalty to
> pay on smaller tables, the benefits of caching would more than make up
> for the cost of going forwards - imagine how slow CPUs would be if
> everything was a cache miss....

I have an idea. Don't know what to call it, better or stupid.

If you are doing vacuum full, it means you are ready to lock the database. I
am just wondering if it would be fast to dump the database, drop it and
recreate it.

Good old defragmentation of ext2fs..;-) Of course, having a spare 80Gigs might
turn out to be a problem but I can almost bet that it would finish before 12
hours..

 Shridhar