How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From P G
Subject How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?
Date
List pgsql-admin
I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
instructions on how to do either of those options?
This apparently is not a simple upgrade, because the
Cobalt XTR relies on PostgreSQL to support some of its
functionality and I simply cannot just remove the
database and install the new one expecting the rest of
the system to function correctly.  There is at least
one Cobalt process called swatch that I know of that
relies on libpq.so.2.1 which PostgreSQL 7.3.1 upgrades
to libpq.so.3.0 and swatch does not want to use.

TIA.