Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday 14 February 2003 6:07 am, Martin Coxall wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 20:28, Steve Crawford wrote:
> > I don't see why we can't keep everyone happy and let the users choose the
> > setup they want. To wit, make the following, probably simple, changes:
> >
> > 1) Have postgresql default to using /etc/postgresql.conf
>
> /etc/postgres/postgresql.conf, if we want to be proper FHS-bitches.
>
> > 2) Add a setting in postgresql.conf specifying the data directory
> > 3) Change the meaning of -D to mean "use this config file"
> > 4) In the absence of a specified data directory in postgresql.conf, use
> > the location of the postgresql.conf file as the data directory
>
> Shouldn't it in that case default to, say /var/lib/postgres?

Idea 4 was just a way to preserve current behaviour for those who desire.
Moving postgresql.conf requires adding the data directory info into
postgresql.conf or specifying it in some other way. If, in the absence of any
specification in postgresql.conf, postgres just looks in the same directory
as postgresql.conf then it will be almost identical to the current setup.

Cheers,
Steve