Re: Incremental backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: Incremental backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, once we have PITR, will anyone want incremental backups?

None of my database references (Date's "Introduction to Database
Systems" and Garcia-Molina's "Database Systems - The Complete Book",
in particular) seem to talk about PITR at all.  At least, there's no
index entry for it.  And a google search for "point in time recovery"
yields mostly marketing fluff.

Is there a good reference for this that someone can point me to?  I'm
interested in exactly how it'll work, especially in terms of how logs
are stored versus the main data store, effects on performance, etc.

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question.  :-(

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com