Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kaare Rasmussen
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What if we supplied several sample .conf files, and let the user choose
> which to copy into the database directory?   We could have a "high read

Exactly my first thought when reading the proposal for a setting suited for
performance tests.

> performance" profile, and a "transaction database" profile, and a
> "workstation" profile, and a "low impact" profile.   We could even supply a

And a .benchmark profile :-)

> Perl script that would adjust SHMMAX and SHMMALL on platforms where this
> can be done from the command line.

Or maybe configuration could be adjusted with ./configure if SHMMAX can be
determined at that point?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Email: kar@kakidata.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Web:      www.suse.dk