Re: sync() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kurt Roeckx
Subject Re: sync()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 07:31:08PM +1100, Giles Lean wrote:

> Is the "Single Unix Standard, version 2" (aka UNIX98) any better?
> It says for fsync():
>
>     "The fsync() function forces all currently queued I/O operations
>     associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to
>     the synchronised I/O completion state. All I/O operations are
>     completed as defined for synchronised I/O file integrity
>     completion."

In version 3 it says:
    The fsync() function shall request that all data for the open file    descriptor named by fildes is to be
transferredto the storage    device associated with the file described by fildes in an    implementation-defined
manner.The fsync() function shall not    return until the system has completed that action or until an error    is
detected.
    [SIO] [Option Start] If _POSIX_SYNCHRONIZED_IO is defined, the    fsync() function shall force all currently queued
I/Ooperations    associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to the    synchronized I/O completion
state.All I/O operations shall be    completed as defined for synchronized I/O file integrity    completion. [Option
End]

Kurt