Re: [PERFORM] optimizing query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [PERFORM] optimizing query
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> > postgresql.conf:
> > shared_buffers: 121600
> > max_connections: 64
> > max_fsm_relations = 200
> > max_fsm_pages = 40000
> > effective_cache_size = 8000
>
> Try increasing sort_mem.
>
> Also, I'd back off on shared_buffers if I were you.  There's no evidence
> that values above a few thousand buy anything.

Increasing shared_buffers above several thousand will only be a win if
your entire working set will fit in the larger buffer pool, but didn't
in the previous size.  If you working set is smaller or larger than
that, pushing it above several thousand isn't a win.  Is that a more
definitive answer?