Re: Database backup - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: Database backup
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Redirecting to help list as it seems more appropriate.

On Saturday 18 January 2003 09:17, Alexandros Perdikomatis wrote:
> Question: Am I too stupid to use tar?

I'm sure not but you may misunderstand what tar does.  Tar is for storing a
collection of files into an archive.  It expects to find the list of files on
the command line in one form or another.  If you don't write to a file first
then all you have is a stream of data, not a file.

> Some time I had no space on the filesystem to copy all the data in command
> mode (pg_dump) so I thought to pipe pg_dump to tar using a scsi tape
> archiver as output (/dev/rmt0).
> Why doesn't work?

What exactly was the problem?  You may just have a device selection issue.
What system is this on?