Re: Sun vs. Mac - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From CaptainX0r
Subject Re: Sun vs. Mac
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

> Just for giggles, do you have a spare drive or something you
> can try
> get some
> numbers?  My experience has been that on the same basic

This was on the todo list, "just to see", but I'm not sure how
much time we want to spend trying a myriad of options when
concentrating on one should (maybe?) do the trick.

> hardware, Linux runs postgresql about twice as fast as
> Solaris, and no amount of tweaking  seemed to ever get
> postgresql up to the same performance on Solaris.  It's
> so bad a Sparc 20 with 256 Meg ram and a 50 MHz 32 bit CPU
> running linux  was outrunning our Sun Ultra 1 with 512 Meg ram

> and a 150 MHz 64 bit CPU  by about 50%.  That was with the
> 2.0.x kernel for linux and

This is not encouraging.....  We may be revisiting the linux
option.

Thanks much for the input,

-X