Re: Sun vs. Mac - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From CaptainX0r
Subject Re: Sun vs. Mac
Date
List pgsql-performance
> You'll need to increase the number of available semaphores
> more than
> likely, if you add any connections.  You do indeed need to fix
> shmmax, but if the postmaster starts, you're fine.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at this.

> That's what you need.  Without any doubt at all.  The xlog on
> the same UFS filesystem (and disk) as the rest of $PGDATA is a
> nightmare.

The disks are on order - but that can't be the only thing hold
it up, can it?  I've got to check out the IO, as you suggest.

> > > Also, certain sort routines are abysmal.  Replace the
> > > Solaris-provided qsort().
> >
> > I've read about this as well - but haven't even gotten that
> > far on the testing/configuring yet.
>
> If you're doing any sorting that is not by an index, forget
> about it.
> Change it now.  It's something like a multiple of 40 slower.

I double checked, and this was one of the reasons I was glad to
try 7.3 on Solaris - it's already got it built in.

Thanks much for the input,

-X