Sun vs. Mac - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From CaptainX0r
Subject Sun vs. Mac
Date
Re: Sun vs. Mac
Sun vs. Mac
Re: Sun vs. Mac
Re: Sun vs. Mac
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

I'm having some serious performance issues with PostgreSQL on
our newish SunFire 280R (1 900MHz ultrasparc III, 1 GB RAM).
It's painfully slow.  It took me almost a week of tuning to get
it in the range of an old Mac G3 laptop.  Now, a few days later,
after tweaking every nearly every parameter (only noting
decreased performance on some) in /etc/system and
$PGDATA/postgresql.conf it's about as fast as I can make it, but
still horribly slow.  A few simple queries that take 1.5-7
minutes on the G3 take 1-1.5 minutes on the Sun.  A bulk load of
roughly 2.4 GB database dump takes ~1 hour on each machine.  It
took almost 2 hours on the Sun before I turned off fsync.

We have plans to add another CPU, RAM and another disk, which
should all help, but in its current state, I (and many others)
would think that it should run circles around the G3.  I'm
thinking that I'm missing something big and obvious because this
can't be right.  Otherwise we might as well just get a bunch of
ibooks to run our databases - they're a lot smaller and much
more quiet.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-X