Re: Big 7.4 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Big 7.4 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
darren@up.hrcoxmail.com wrote:

> > How hard would it be to extend PITR for master-slave (hot backup)
> > repliaction, which should then amount to continuously shipping logs to
> > slave and doing nonstop PITR there :)
>
> I have not looked at the PITR patch yet, but it might be possible
> to use the same PITR format to queue/log writesetswith postgres-r,
> so we can have multi-master replication and PITR from the same
> mechanism.

Yes, we do need a method to send write sets to the various nodes, and
PITR may be a help in getting those write sets.  However, it should be
clear that we really aren't archiving-replaying them like you would
think for PITR.  We are only grabbing stuff from the PITR to send to
other nodes.  We may also be able to use PITR to bring nodes back up to
date if they have fallen out of communication.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073