Re: 7.4 Wishlist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: 7.4 Wishlist
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Naeslund(f)" <mag@fbab.net> writes:
> > Mysql is planning on making this work:
> >  SELECT id, @a:=COUNT(*), SUM(sum_col)/@a FROM table_name GROUP BY id.
>
> We're supposed to spend our time emulating nonstandard features that
> don't even exist yet?  I think I have better things to do ...

MySQL doesn't have it, but I believe MS SQL does (and thus Sybase
probably does as well).

I agree with others that variables would be quite handy, especially if
they persist between statements (and they might be even handier if
they persist between transactions).

That's not to say that you don't have better things to work on,
though.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com
This is your .signature virus: < begin 644 .signature (9V]T8VAA(0K0z end >    This is your .signature virus on drugs: