Re: performance of insert/delete/update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom,

> As an example: in testing INSERT speed on my old HP box just now,
> I got measured rates of about 16000 inserts/minute with fsync off, and
> 5700/min with fsync on (for 1 INSERT per transaction).  Knowing that my
> disk drive is 6000 RPM, the latter number is credible.  On my PC I get
> numbers way higher than the disk rotation rate :-(

Thanks for the info.  As long as I have your ear, what's your opinion on the
risk level of running with fsynch off on a production system?   I've seen a
lot of posts on this list opining the lack of danger, but I'm a bit paranoid.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions