Re: selects from large tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: selects from large tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:36:08PM -0000, Nikk Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately explain analyze does not work on our postgres version (7.1) ?

No, it doesn't.

> I think I will download and compile 7.2, and try to compile in 64bit mode to
> see if that helps improve performance.

I have seen something like a 40% improvement in performance from 7.1
to 7.2 on Solaris 7 in my tests.  There are some problems with the 64
bit compilation, by the way, so make sure that you check out the
FAQ and test carefully.  You need to make some modifications of the
source files in order to avoid some buggly libraries on Solaris.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110