Re: swapping? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: swapping?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:07:00AM -0500, Wei Weng wrote:

> 1: I see sort_mem setting in my postgresql.conf, what is the "buffer
> size" people often talk about?

It's the shared buffer configuration option in your config file.

> 2: What is the unit of sort_mem in postgresql.conf? In my basic(default)
> installation, I have sort_mem=512. Is that 512MBs or 512KBs?

It's in kilobytes.

It appears that it might profit you to read the administrator's
guide.  There's lots in the Fine Manuals.  The section on runtime
configuration is at

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/runtime-config.html

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110