Re: RC1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Subject Re: RC1?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:06:15 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  said:
> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> > Why use awk for this at all ? and not:
> > echo "\\set ECHO all"
>
> I think Bruce is worried about portability; some versions of echo might
> do something weird with the backslash.  OTOH, it's not obvious to me
> that awk is better on that score.  Bruce?

The problem is that the regress script isn't pointing to the version of
awk that was picked up in the autoconf phase.

(More detailed comments forwarded directly :-).)

The "real deal" on what happens on Solaris is thus, from the awk FAQ,
where Patrick McPhee writes:

> SunOS includes three versions of awk. /usr/bin/awk is the old
> (pre-1989) version. /usr/bin/nawk is the new awk which appeared in
> 1989, and /usr/xpg4/bin/awk is supposed to conform to the single unix
> specification.  No one knows why Sun continues to ship old awk.

I would be /very/ inclined to trust Patrick's wisdom on this.

So long as we fix up the regression script to grab the "nawk" that
we expect to work, that's probably nicer than figuring out which
echo parameters are needed...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html