Re: Help on creating a High Availability PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Help on creating a High Availability PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
> We are looking to create a two-machine high-availability configuration
> for PostgreSQL.  We have been pursuing using something like rserv, but
> this appears to be more of a slave sync tool.  Actually, this is also
> important to us (as we expect we will need to scale to lots of readers
> doing queries on the database (we are running  datamart of website
> performance metrics).
>
> But, rserv (and eRServer, its commercial cousin) dont seem to have a
> hot-standby capability at the moment.  I have looked through some of the
> PostgreSQL archives and I've seen articles about other approaches, but I
> mostly see replication engines (which are a good thing, but not what I
> am hunting for).
>
> I saw one posting that suggested using a clustered filesystem; is this
> an option?  Has anyone done postgreSQL on a replicating/clustered file
> system with decent performance?  Any and all ideas are welcome.

We are selling Lifekeeper (a hot-standby cluster software) +
PostgreSQL adapter software for Lifekeeper + support combo package
called "PostgreSQL HA package" in Japan. This requires an expensive
shared disk hardware though.
--
Tatsuo Ishii