pg_database datistemplate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject pg_database datistemplate
Date
Re: pg_database datistemplate  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

In the docs it is mentioned for datistemplate that

"If true then this database can be used in the "TEMPLATE" clause of
CREATE DATABASE to create the new database as a clone of this one."

However, one can create a database using as template another DB that has
datistemplate set to false.

In this situation, what is the point of having datistemplate?

"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;
It rarely breaks and when it does I fix the code myself.
It's stable, clean and elegant, and lightning fast as well,
And it doesn't cost a nickel, so Bill Gates can go to hell."