Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 06:09:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Ask him if he ever accessed a .org web site.  That name lookup will be
> powered by PostgreSQL soon.  They just won the contract yesterday.

And .info is powered by PostgreSQL today.  Our remarks on the subject
are available for public consumptions here:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13TheInternetSocietyISOC

(sorry about the long line).  No, I don't have any compare-to-Oracle
benchmarks to share, alas.  But PostgreSQL meets our needs.  For a
quick demonstration of how fast PostgreSQL can be, you can execute
this:

$ whois -h whois.afilias.net afilias.info

I should tell you that it's sort of a cheat: the reason for the speed
is partly the database design.  But Postgres is nice and fast in our
experience, provided you configure and program correctly.  Sounds
like everything else, to me.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110