Re: Beta2 on Friday Morning (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Beta2 on Friday Morning (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > We are in beta, not release ... the purpose of going to beta2 is to
> > > provide a new checkpoint to work bug reports off of, so having to deal
> > > with an initdb should not be considered a problem by anyone, since only a
> > > fool would run beta in production, no? (and ya, I am such a fool at times,
> > > but i do accept the fact that I am such *grin*)
> >
> > We should get _all_ the known initdb-related issues into the code before
> > we go beta2 or beta3 is going to require another initdb.
>
> Right, and?  How many times in the past has it been the last beta in the
> cycle that forced the initdb?  Are you able to guarantee that there
> *won't* be another initdb required if we wait until mid-next week?

I agree, but if we _know_ we have more initdb issues to resolve (and
pg_dump load issues) doesn't it make sense to at least do all of them
that we have outstanding?  If not, we are guaranteeing an initdb.  I
would rather _try_ to avoid one for beta3.

Pennsylvania19073