Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 21:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> > In short, I'm not sure why you and Oliver are so unhappy.  We may not
> > have made the world better than before for upgrade scenarios, but I
> > don't think we've made it worse either.
>
> I'm unhappy because I know that I will get bug reports that I will have
> to deal with.  They will take time and effort and would not be necessary
> if we had a seamless upgrade path.

This last line gave me a chuckle.  It is like "software wouldn't be
necessary if computers could read people's minds".  :-)

The issue with modifying the data files is that if we have to modify the
large binary data file we may as well just dump/reload the data.  If we
don't change the on-disk format for 7.4 I will try again to make
pg_upgrade work.

Pennsylvania19073