Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I just want people to not get bit in a bad way and decide they
> > don't want to
> > use PostgreSQL after all.  And with the new features of 7.3, lots
> > of users
> > who might have begun with 7.2 are going to want to upgrade -- but
> > if it's too
> > painful....  Sorry, it's just a sore spot for me, this whole
> > upgrade issue.
> > I know Oliver has the same problem, with slightly different presentation.
>
> IS there any solution to Postgres's upgrade problems?  I mean, ever?  With
> the complex catalog design, etc - how is it every possible for us to do a
> plug-n-play major version upgrade (assuming datafile format doesn't change
> anymore)
>
> How does pg_upgrade work?

pg_upgrade sort of worked for 7.2 but I got to it too late and I didn't
properly expand the pg_clog files.  In 7.3, the file format has changed.
If we don't change the format for 7.4, I can do it, but I have to add
schema stuff to it.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Pennsylvania19073