Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 17 September 2002 04:40 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > ... What I am looking
> > at is whether the user will have to run 7.3's pg_dump in order to migrate
> > older data.

> AFAIK this is not *necessary*, though it may be *helpful*.  Aside from
> the OPAQUE issue, which we will fix one way or another, I am aware of
> these issues for loading a pre-7.3 dump:

Helpful is good.  If it proves not too hard I'm going to try that route.  And
the more I think about the less difficult I think it will be.  I've about
given up on the upgrade ever really being easy.

> In short, I'm not sure why you and Oliver are so unhappy.  We may not
> have made the world better than before for upgrade scenarios, but I
> don't think we've made it worse either.

It's a long-term pain, Tom.  With brief paroxysms worthy of appendicitis.

I've been caught by it -- I lost data due to bad RPM packaging coupled with
the dump/restore cycle.  That's what motivated me to start doing this in the
first place, three years ago.

I just want people to not get bit in a bad way and decide they don't want to
use PostgreSQL after all.  And with the new features of 7.3, lots of users
who might have begun with 7.2 are going to want to upgrade -- but if it's too
painful....  Sorry, it's just a sore spot for me, this whole upgrade issue.
I know Oliver has the same problem, with slightly different presentation.

I'm not meaning to be a pain; just trying to prevent some for someone else.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio