Re: Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of
Date
Re: Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 05:13, Reinhard Max wrote:
> > On 4 Sep 2002 at 12:48, Rod Taylor wrote:
> >
> > > This item:
> > > Add file to hold passwords using PGPASSWORDFILE environment variable
> > >
> > > Has been completed, and will be a part of the 7.3 release.
> >
> > Is there a default file name like ~/.pgpassword so that this feature
> > can be used without setting yet another environment variable?
>
> I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe so.  You can read the 7.3
> docs at developer.postgresql.org.

Is there a good reason for a default for this?  If we have a default,
there will be no way to disable the lookups except by renaming the file.
On the other hand, no default means that people will make up their own
names for the file, and that seems bad.