Is this an overkill? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Ostrowski
Subject Is this an overkill?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all..

I am a PHP programmer that usualy uses MySQL, but I have been pining to use PostgreSQL for a while.  I hate people that
areafraid to learn or never want to experiment in this industry.. i always want to know more than i do now... and
PostgreSQLhas always intrigued me because of it's wonderful feature set and imbedded languages...

I was thinking of using it on my current project.. which would be:

For the web:
   Keeping track of "seasons", "teams", "standings", "scores", "news", etc. for a sports complex that has ( at present
)12 programs and will be expanding. Each of these programs will have teams, divisions, etc. Plus general news.

For the office:
  We would have a local DB ( that is accessable from the web ) to keep track of purchases and customer information. It
willbe accessed/updated either over the web or locally via desktop software that I will write ( probably with LlamaCard
forPerl ).

Customer wise, we would have several thousand a year.  Program info wise, we would have as many entries as for
customers,but would change more often.

Is this kind of thing ... well too small to use Postgres for? Should I just suck it up and use MySQL and do all the
dataintegrity things in PHP?  I mean, I LOVE to learn about this stuff, but would it end up being more frustration than
isnessesary for a small project like this?

Any help is valued,
regards,
dan