Re: CREATE TABLE docs fix - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: CREATE TABLE docs fix
Date
List pgsql-patches
En 01 Sep 2002 13:44:37 -0400
Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> escribió:

> The case you brought up is more of a bug or mis-implementation of alter
> table / add primary key. I guess you're right. They're not, but they
> should be.

I think it's very difficult in the general case to determine from a
CHECK constraint if it is setting some column to not null; but if it was
easy, then you better translate(*) it into the SET NOT NULL form, and leave
the ADD PRIMARY KEY code alone.

Anyway IMHO this should be documented to prevent possible confusion.

(*) but I think auto-converting some things into some other things that
may not be what the user wants is a recipe for user frustration.

"El sabio habla porque tiene algo que decir;
el tonto, porque tiene que decir algo" (Platon).