Re: Newbie confused about pg_hba/md5 and password field - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Newbie confused about pg_hba/md5 and password field
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Well, if you store your passwords as encrypted in pg_shadow, then only
MD5 will work for authentication.  If you don't encrypt them, you can
use any auth method like 'crypt' or 'password'.

I don't know what authlib is, but it is very possible it doesn't have
this md5 capability.