Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yes, perhaps a bad precedent.  I have very rarely done this.  I do have
the patch here if anyone wants to use it.  My guess is if someone
implements it, it will be done only in initdb, and use symlinks, which
you and Marc don't like, so we may be best leaving it undone for 7.3 and
returning with a clear slate in 7.4.

Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > OK, with two people now asking to have the patch removed, and with no
> > comment from Thomas, I have removed the patch.  This removes XLogDir
> > environment variable, and -X postmaster/postgres/initdb/pg_ctl flag.
> > I have also removed the code that dynamically sized xlogdir.
>
> ... Back in town...
>
> Sorry to hear that this is the way it turned out. It is a bad precedent
> imho, and I see no way forward on my interest in this area. Hopefully
> someone else will pick it up; perhaps one of those so vehemently against
> the details of this?
>
>                     - Thomas

Pennsylvania19073