Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > In a way that user has to be special for this case
> > because of the requirement that at least one person be able to connect
> > when you flip that flag.
>
> Why does anyone need to be special?  The behavior should be to try the
> given user name, and if that's not found then to try user@db.  I see no
> need to special-case any user.

Oh, so try it with and without.  I can do that, but it seems more of a
security problem where you were trying two names instead of one.  Do
people like that?  It is easy to do, except for the fact we have to
match pg_hba.conf with a username, though we could do the double-test
there too, if that isn't too weird.

> > Basically, I am not going to stop working on something when one person
> > objects or this will never get done,
>
> He didn't say to stop working on it.  He said to fix the misdesigned
> parts.  And I quite agree that those parts are misdesigned.

I will fix them as long as the fixes don't generate new objections, like
adding a new column to pg_shadow.

Pennsylvania19073