Re: Trimming the Fat, Part Deux ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Trimming the Fat, Part Deux ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 01 August 2002 02:21 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Lamar Owen wrote:
> > > And the sooner our very old perl client goes away, the better I like
> > > it.  It is a good client, don't get me wrong: but DBD:Pg is the
> > > standard now.

> > I have been in contact with Edmund about moving DBD into our CVS and
> > updating CPAN ourselves.  Should have a final answer soon.

> OK, I got the go-ahead from Edmund.  We will have DBD:pg in the 7.3
> tarball.  I will add it to CVS today or tomorrow.

Um, is putting it into our tarball necessary, or even desireable?  It is
separately maintained as part of CPAN.  Is there some fundamental reason that
we _must_ ship a perl client (the same goes for tcl/tk/python/c++ as well) if
it is adequately maintained in the standard location?  Perlers know to go to
CPAN.  Likewise Pythonistas have their own place.

And that's the crux of Marc's message, I believe -- why can't we minimize
here?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio