Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Þórhallur Hálfdánarson
Subject Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

-*- Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> [ 2002-06-25 21:34 ]:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 22:48, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Frankly, the only thing that MS SQL has over us is easy-but-unreliable GUI
> > admin tools (backup, user, and database management).
>
> We almost have it in pgAdmin and Tora.

Well, pgAdmin has come a long way -- some of my fellow admins that have Windows workstations use it, and does the
developersat my company.  Don't know Tora thought, must try it out sometime.

However, I think some sort of scheduling like MS SQL offers would be very helpful for newcomers.  Scheduling stuff like
backup(now only dumps), vacuum's and such with cron is unfortunately not straight-forward enough.

Merging configuration files is good. However, things like access control should IMO be configurable with SQL commands
--which would also help in development of better administration tools.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Tolli,
tolli@tol.li