Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:34:59PM -0400, cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
> The _crucial_ marketing that would need to take place is NOT to the public.
> It would be to:
>   a) ISPs
>   b) Vendors of ISP support software.
>
> The sort of thing that has allowed MySQL to get really popular is the fact
> that there are tools like cPanel <http://www.cpanel.net/> that provide a
> "friendly" front end to manage web site 'stuff,' including managing MySQL.

One consideration is that prior to 7.3, PostgreSQL's permissions scheme
made it difficult or impossible use in a shared-hosting environment (or
at least, that's what I've heard from several different people -- I
don't have any personal experience).

I'm aware that there are people offering PostgreSQL hosting, but the
*perception* among the hosting techies I've talked to is that MySQL's
feature set is better suited for a shared hosting environment. With
schemas and improved permissions in 7.3, that may be a thing of the
past (at which point, ISPs might be a prime area for marketing).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>