Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in the Debian way - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in the Debian way
Date
Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Le Mardi 18 Juin 2002 18:42, Serge Adda a écrit :
> I am new to PostgreSQL, but I am interested in the Win32 port.
> I have studied the architecture of other databases like Oracle.

Hello,

It seems clear that several teams are working without central point management
and contact:

- W32 port: at least a Japase team, a PostgreSQL hacker team and a company are
working separately. This makes three separate efforts for the most important
project this year.

- Replication: development is slow although a lot of people would be
interested in helping. But there is no central organization apart from the
hackers-list.

- Web site: a www list is working on several issues. Is there a central design
for all PostgreSQL site, like PHP does?

- Marketing: MySQL sucks and has a team of marketing sending junk technical
emails and writing false benchmarks. Who is in charge of marketing at
PostgreSQL? Where can I find a list of PostgreSQL features?

Personnaly, I agree with someone who wrote "Remember Betamax. It was the best
technical standard, but it died for commercial reasons". I don't want
PostgreSQL to be the next Betamax.

Some projects, like Debian, have a democratic organisation. The team leader is
elected for a year. Why not settle a similar organization? This would help
take decisions ... and not loose time on important issues.

PostgreSQL is a software but it is also a community. If we believe in
democracy, I suggest we should organize in a democratic way and elect a
leader for a year.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers.
Jean-Michel POURE