Re: Big Test Environment Feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew Tedder
Subject Re: Big Test Environment Feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Comments below to keep context intact...

On Saturday 15 June 2002 04:13 pm, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Matthew Tedder dijo:

> > > [pg_dump into the development machines]
> >
> > That won't work nearly as well.  Obviously we can and often do dumps.
> > But when testing something that has to work in a production environment,
> > we need to see what happens over a course of several day's time.  This is
> > needed not only for testing of the specific code changed or added to a
> > process, but also a test of how it integrations with a larger and more
> > complex information flow system.
>
> Seems like single master multi slave replication would do the trick,
> wouldn't it? You can replicate the master's data to the slaves and do
> the tests there.  Depending on how frequent the updates are (assuming
> they are asynchronous), the DB load will be different, but I wonder
> whether this may be an issue.

First, there are two issues to be cogniscent of: (1) that the test table(s)
remain identical in every way to the production ones, including all the
happens to them, except for whatever part of the processing is being tested;
(2) that we conserve disk space and I/O resources.

Here's an example problem:

CONTEXT:
A group of eight hospitals merged together and integrated a variety of
systems, including disparate Order Entry subsystems.  Nightly, the data from
each subsystem is FTP'd to a central data processing server for the
enterprise.  And as part of the nightly batch flows, a separate process for
each, translates it to a common format and inserts it into the Orders table.  Following this, processing begins for
othersubsystems that use this data

such as the Billing Subsystem(s), Inventory subsystems, Decision Support
Systems, Archiving subsystems, etc.

Un-Important Note: I personally believe strongly in using flags and status
indicator codes on top of normalized data, but many conservative shops move
data from bucket to bucket along its nightly course, as each process touches
it.   (Although this causes data inconsistency problems, it does also have
the advantage of providing a detailed audit trail)

PROBLEM:
When a change is made to the output of one of the Orders subsystems and the
programmer/analyst has to redesign the translation code, should he dump the
entire database into a test environment?  Everything that his data effects
downstream may be only 15% of the remaining nightly processes.

SOLUTION:
Therefore, if the database kept only some kind of a read-link to production
tables and only dumps when something is modified in the respective table,
wouldn't it significantly reduce the pull on resources--both in terms of disk
space and I/O utilization?

OTHER CONCERNS:
Often an IT shop has one big production, one big test, and one big
development environment.   In that case, a big database dump for each makes a
great deal of sense.  However, the date for applying a change from
development to test and production will be sooner for some projects than for
others.  My idea basically enables those with different due dates to have
separate test or development environments so that the unwanted effects of
projects that take a longer time do not negatively impact those that need to
be perfected and put into production sooner.  The ones that go in sooner,
would, however impact the ones going later once the sooner ones are put into
production.  But this is not such a bad thing as the alternative.

Maybe I am reading into this a little too deeply.  I don't know.. You be the
judge.......it seemed like something like this could be very helpful at my
former workplace.  People were constantly bumping into eachother in our test
environment.

Matthew
--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.