Re: Re : Solaris Performance - 64 bit puzzle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Re : Solaris Performance - 64 bit puzzle
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:46:18AM +0000, markir@slingshot.co.nz wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Can you try the attached program (testqsort.c) out ?
[. . .]
> I have tried compiling this in 64 bit mode with (with egcs) on Solaris 8
> and get very similar behaviour to the 32 bit mode (i.e 100's of times slower

I found an extra 10 minutes today during which no-one called me to a
meeting, and it looks like my non-profiled tests are wrong.  The
difference is an order of magnitude or more, in favour of the BSD
version.  This is on Solaris 7.

What I'm now puzzled about is why just exercising the right kind of
sort didn't exhibit the slowdown.

Nevertheless, it looks like the Solaris qsort is pretty bad.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110