Re: Standards URL's - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Standards URL's
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have just added the following developer's FAQ item.  The SQL99 URL in
the attached email, ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/,
is not longer active so I did not mention it.

1.12) Where can I get a copy of the SQL standards?

There are two pertinent standards, SQL92 and SQL99. These standards are
endorsed by ANSI and ISO. A draft of the SQL92 standard is available at
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/. The SQL99 standard must be
purchased from ANSI at http://www.ansi.org/. The main standards document
is ANSI/ISO/IEC 9075-2-1999.

A summary of these standards is at
http://dbs.uni-leipzig.de/en/lokal/standards.pdf and
http://db.konkuk.ac.kr/present/SQL3.pdf.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Here are the URL's for the SQL standards.  Where should these go?  Are
> > they legal?
>
> > http://www.ansi.org
> > http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt
> > ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/standards/sql
> > ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/
>
> > ANSI PDF $20
> > ISO  PDF $310
>
> The document at CMU is a draft version of SQL92, which is legal to
> distribute free AFAIK (at least that's been ISO's practice with other
> draft standards).  The documents at DEC are some intermediate version
> that is probably best ignored.  The documents at umassd are SQL99, and
> not marked as drafts; if they are final text then they might well be
> considered pirate copies by ISO.  But more likely they are late drafts.
>
> Of course, ANSI will be happy to sell you a certifiably legal copy.
>
> What I want to know is what's the difference between the "ANSI" and
> "ISO" PDF versions that ANSI sells, other than a factor of 15 in price?
> I sent an email inquiry about that to ANSI a month ago, and have not
> gotten an answer.  Anyone know?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026