Re: ANSI Compliant Inserts - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ANSI Compliant Inserts
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > >
> > > For example, I don't understand what pg_depend intends.
> > > Is there any consensus on it ?
> >
> > Uh, we know we want dependency checking to fix many problems;  see TODO
> > dependency checking section.
>
> Yes I know it's a very siginificant mechanism. It would contibute
> e.g. to the DROP COLUMN implementation considerably but no one
> referred to pg_depend in the recent discussion about DROP COLUMN.
> So I've thought pg_depend is for something else.

Oh, clearly pg_depend will fix many of our problems, or make some
problems much easier to fix.  I am excited to see it happening!

We had a pg_depend discussion about 9 months ago and hashed out a plan
but were just waiting for someone to do the work.