Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >     You  forgot  who  wrote  that  code  originally.  I feel alot
> >     better WITH the tests in place :-)
> >
> >     And if it's merely to make sure the install worked,  man  who
> >     is  doing  source  installations  these  days  and  runs  the
> >     regression tests anyway?  Most people throw in a RPM  or  the
> >     like, only a few serious users install from sources, and only
> >     a fistfull of them then runs regression.
> >
> >     Aren't it mostly developers and  distro-maintainers  who  use
> >     that  directory?  I  think your entire point isn't just weak,
> >     IMNSVHO you don't really have a point.
>
> It is my understanding that RPM does run that test.  My main issue is
> why does numeric have to be so much larger than the other tests?  I have
> not heard that explained.
   Well,  I  heard  Thomas  commenting  that  it's horribly slow   implemented (or so, don't recall  his  exact
wording).  But   he's right.

   I think the same test done with float8 would run in less than   a tenth of that time. This is only  an  explanation
"why it   takes so long"? It is no argument pro or con the test itself.

   I think I made my point clear enough, that I consider calling   these  functions  just once is plain sloppy.  But
that'sjust   my opinion. What do others think?

Jan