Re: Mailing List Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Mailing List Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> > > imho we should disable *any* special handling of posts to the mailing
> > > lists.
> >
> > It would be interesting to try that for awhile and see if the cure is
> > worse than the disease or not.  How many clueless "uns*bscr*be" requests
> > will hit the lists if there are no filters?
>
> To be honest, not many ... 50% of what I have to moderate are plain and
> simply spam (and that isn't an exaggeration, I wiped out something like
> 150 out of 350 messages the other day) ... maybe about 25% are duplicate
> postings ... I'd say <1% are subscribe/unsubscribe ... and the rest are
> mostly from ppl not subscribed to the lists at all ...

Let me add that I have looked at some non-pg lists and it looks terrible
to see spam in there, right in the archives.  Marc's manual review is
clearly keeping our list of a high quality.  Removing the admin keyword
blocks should fix most of our problems.

Pennsylvania19026