Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fernando Lozano
Subject Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Christian,

> I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out a query and why it takes so
> long to execute.  As a preface, I have the same exact database (or at least
> very closely duplicated) set up in micro$oft SQL Server, with the same
> schema, data and the same indexes, etc.  When I run this query on a dinky
> Windows2000 machine (my laptop) it runs relatively fast and comes back in 7
> seconds.  I have postgreSQL set up on a sun solaris box with 1 GB of memory
> and it takes over 25 seconds!
>
> Heck, it's even running faster on my laptop running cygwin configured in the
> same way!  PLEASE HELP!

If your laptop runs faster using PostgreSQL under cygwin there should be a problem on your solaris server configuration
andnot postgresql. PosgreSQL on cygwin is not considered production ready so I guess it is not surprise being slower
thanMS SQL Server, but the solaris machine should be much faster.

Hint: Do you run vacuum frequentily?

[s, Fernando Lozano